Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Pappardelle (not really) bolognese

This experiment is correction of a cardinal sin. Upon first reading Mario Batali's "Babbo Cookbook", I cooked up a variation of this recipe without making it as intended first.

I eliminated things I figured weren't important and I didn't like, specifically celery and carrots.

Turns out that shit is important. And, more amazing, I liked them.

Chopped onions, celery and carrots together make up the Italian aromatic mix called Gremolotta. Or is it Gradiska? Anyway, it's a big deal and I kick myself for blowing it off last time.

One thing is, I couldn't find Pappardelle pasta (wide strips of flat pasta). Batali being Batali, his recipe involves making ones own pasta, and I'm not above that sort of thing, but I have no pasta roller. So I bought lasagna noodles, partially cooked them and sliced them into little sheets, then finished them in the sauce itself.

It worked, but I cut the pasta too big.

Finished with some shaved parmisan, fresh oregano and a bit of olive oil (extra virgin, of course).

A successful venture.

New rule: No fucking with a new recipe until I've made it properly once.

1 comment:

  1. It's a good policy, and one I've learned the hard way. I don't much care for celery either, or onion in significant quantities, and when making stock always have to remind myself to leave it in. Tomato paste is another one I've learned to ride with. It can be hard to predict how a finished recipe will turn out based purely on raw ingredients. There are exceptions. I have never regretted leaving fennel out of ANYTHING.

    ReplyDelete