Monday, January 18, 2010

Fishy fish

I've never been huge on fish. I love tuna, like salmon, and the rest I could do without.

But I'm trying to expand myself, so I wanted to try cooking fish, rather than nibbling it when offered.

Thumbing through a Weight Watchers cookbook borrowed from J&R, I came across Honey Teriyaki Salmon. Honey, good. Teriyaki, good. Salmon, good. I immedietly decided it would be my first entree for Sunday Dinner.

It's a marinade dish, and one requiring stuff we already had in the kitchen; soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger (left over from the Spice Cream) and citrus juice. I subbed Key Lime juice (which I also have on hand) for the called for fresh lemon.

But then there was the fish. J&R had graciously given me a slab of it last sunday, but it went off in our freezer during the week (one reason I buy most fresh ingredients as needed), so I had to go out and get some more. I grabbed a couple nice-looking pieces at "The Metro" (our local up-scale grocery), and got them home to discover not only bones but (~gasp!~) skin, which I hadn't realized in the store.

I see myself improving as I actively dedicate myself to cuisine, but my knife skills are wanting. I am certainly not up to anything involving blade and fish. Using our odd, off-set filey knife, I managed to skin the filets losing about a quarter of one filet and some clinging bits of shiny skin on the other.

J has known my parents and I since I was a child, longer than I can remember in fact. R has been around since my teen years. They are my extended family; my uncles.

And when they come to our house for dinner, they're lucky if I can get it up to put on shoes, or change out of my sweat pants. I have seen them passed out on my living room floor. They can suck down a few bits of skin, Weight Watchers be damned. At least I got all the bones out. I think.

For all the trouble with the fish, it turned out stupendous. The recipe, overtly healthy though it may be, will be dutifully transcribed into the computer, and enter my ever-growing slush fund of dishes.

1 comment:

  1. Nice thing about fish is that you can leave the skin on, if it's only one side. The flesh flakes right off with a fork, leaving a flap of skin to be discarded after supper.

    ReplyDelete